Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hockings ***Spoiler Alert***


So, on a whim (mostly because I had a gift certificate for Barnes and Nobles) I bought Switched and Torn by Amanda Hocking for the Nook (copyrighted and all that jazz) app on my iPod (see previous parentheses). First, I would like to say that apps sucks, and I ended up repurchasing the books for the Kindle app (see first set of parentheses). I had never heard of these books/this author, but the summary interested me and, of course, the covers were intriguing. (For the record, I totally judge books by their covers). I would just like to say SCORE! I must say that these books were a definite find, and I loved them. Even luckier, I started the series after the third was finished, and thanks to the wonders of ebooks, was not subject to the patience grinding experience of having to wait from 2 a.m. to 8 a.m. for my local book store to open. Patience is a virtue that I do not possess my friends.

I loved this series, hated it sometimes, but loved it overall. I only hated it at the points I am quite sure that I was supposed to be frustrated.

The main character, Wendy, was wonderful. She was a strong female protagonist who voiced her opinions despite everyone attempting to shut her up. While she was strong, she had breakdowns but they only made her more realistic. She was not this stone cold heroin who showed no emotion and did what she had to do despite what was actually going on and was successful. She did what she needed to do, what she wanted to do and was always honest about how she felt about it. The only thing I did not like is who she ended up with. I personally prefer the dark and mysterious type versus the golden-god-like type, but hey, I didn't write the book.

This is a series that draws you and makes you want to find out what happens. The first and second end on a note that makes you want to continue reading, but not with such a cliff hanger that you are pissed if you don't have the next one. Of course, I still ended up buying the third instantly because I could, more than anything else.

Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of this series. It was paranormal without being completely fantasy. Wendy is a changeling, and finds out when she us 17 that her abilities to get people to do what she wants them to do is a result of her being a Trylle, or a troll. What I really like is that when one thinks of a troll, two images pop to mind. Ugly, bridge dwelling folk or cute, crazy hair gemmed belly dolls; not the case with Wendy. This is a new concept that I haven't run across before, but it seems more realistic.

What I didn't like was falling for Finn and then not getting to see them together. I was genuinely upset. I felt let down that we witnessed this fight for them to be together for her to be so easily distracted. But, like I said, I prefer the dark and broody type. But, I didn't hate Loki. Mostly for two reasons: awesome name and cocky attitude. Every girl like a guy with confidence and we all dream about meeting one and then seeing their vulnerable state as they admit they love us...ahhh. But seriously, I wish she could have been with Finn. I really liked him. He kept her in her place. I like me a tough guy.

I also like that she added an epilogue. Would I like to see more from this series? Perhaps. A spin off of Finn the tracker chronicles? Perhaps. But, if it still focused around Wendy, I am not sure where it would go. She defeated the major villain, I can't imagine another villain wanting to take that on. But hey, what do I know about the inner workings of the troll society?

Overall, I highly recommend this series. It is an interesting take on a hot fad without catering to the fad at all. I love Hocking's writing style and find her to be really talented. I plan on indulging myself with her other novels this summer.

No comments: