Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

This book is the second book in the Maze Runner Trilogy. While I loved the first one, I found this one to be a little lackluster. Note, if you have not read The Maze Runner you may not want to continue reading this entry; it does contain some spoilers. Also, you may not understand some of the references I am making to people/places/things.

The book begins with Thomas, the Gladers, and Teresa having successfully escaped from the maze. They think they are all set and ready to enter their real world again, but to their dismay they do not get to. They instead are once again put through another trial, The Scorch Trial.

The Scorch is a vast area of land that used to be near the Equator. After the solar flares (we learn this in book one), this area of land is left desolate and barren. The challenge that Thomas and the Gladers face is having to cross the Scorch, in two weeks, and arrive at the "safe haven". Not only do they have to deal with crossing a desert with a small amount of food and unrealistically smaller supply of water, they have to travel one hundred miles total in two weeks, on foot, and fight off Cranks.  Cranks are humans that have been infected with the Flare. The longer you have been infected, the more psychotic you are. Oh, did I mention that WICKED has conveniently infected all of them as well for additional motivation to succeed in the trial (read: do our little test or die)?

While I was completely intrigued by the first book, this second one didn't really draw me in. At one point I voluntarily put it down to grade papers. That, my friends, is a first. But, after finishing and reflecting, I think I know why it didn't draw me in as well. The first novel was fully of mystery and suspense. We didn't know why they were in the maze, what was happening in the outside world, who Thomas was/is supposed to be, or if they were ever going to get out of the maze. It was interesting to follow the characters and discover with them. For this sequel, we already knew Thomas was telepathic and had worked with WICKED, what the challenge the Gladers had to face was, and we knew to expect many of the things that happened. There was much less suspense and mystery for me. I found it to be very predictable. Also, some parts dragged on for far too long.  I get it, Cranks are crazy, they want to kill people, run Thomas run. Even the bio-mechanical engineered monsters at the end were lame. It took the Gladers two whole years to figure out the Grievers. It took them less than two minutes to figure out these beasties. Finally, what turned me off was what they change in the dynamics and relationships of the characters. They seemed much more detached in this novel, and as a result, so was I.

The book ends on a cliff hanger, as should be expected since we know there is yet another book. I, however, am not as anxious to read this one. I am instead going to read another novel in between, hoping that the time I spend reading another novel will amp my curiosity about the ending of this story. There is also a prequel, to explain why the maze had to be created in the first place. We shall have to see if the third leaves me wanting more information enough to read that one.

No comments: